Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Inkspirations Colour Challenge #12 and Mercy's Tuesday Sketch Challenge #38

Hi there,

its been a while since I last updated my blog! Time has flown as my kids and I have been sick. But I'm ready to get back into stamping again and start working out those challenges :)

Today I have Makeesha's Colour Inspiration #12 and Mercy's Tuesday Sketch Challenge #38. Do check out their websites to see what their design team and others have come up with - its very inspirational! Just click on the links I have made above.

I have done 2 cards with Keesh's challenge, one of them using Mercy's sketch challenge. Here are the challenges:



Card #1

This card here, I tried a very interesting technique: Emboss resist with clear embossing powder on Whisper White cardstock and then brayering over with Regal Rose. I sponged on some more Regal Rose in the floral part of the bird to increase contrast. Then I outlined the cute bird with my 2-way glue pen and added Dazzling Diamonds to make it pop further - ooh la la.


Close up you can see the Emboss Resist technique better, I hope. The bird is actually shiny but I couldn't capture it with my camera. The bird's eye was calling for something sparkly so I added the Kaiser gems.

I have also stamped the inside of the card to match:

Card Recipe for Card #1: all Stampin' Up! unless mentioned:
  • Stamps: Always, Best Wishes and More
  • Inks: Real Red, Regal Rose, So Saffron, Basic Black
  • Paper: Whisper White, Real Red, Regal Rose, So Saffron, So Saffron DSP, Sweet Always DSP
  • Accessories: Clear Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, Brayer, Button Latte, Linen Thread, Spiral Punch, Dazzling Diamonds, 2 way glue pen, diamante (from Kaiser), Real Red ribbon

Card #2 - Keesh's Challenge and Mercy's Sketch

This is actually my favourite card of the 2, and here I used Mercy's card sketch together with Keesh's colour challenge. It's a great sketch, try it too! The technique used here is Faux Stitching - so very cool. Oh, I like....
Also I have dressed up Stampin' Up's ultra smooth envelopes with the matching DSP on the flap (card is sitting on the envelope), and stamped the inside of the card. There is glitter on the blooms but my photography didn't capture it!

Don't you just like how groovy that sentiment is from the Great Friend stamp set in the Spring Mini. And the Regal Rose ribbon is lovely and soft, easy to tie bows with.

The Faux Stitching technique is great for narrow strips and tight corners; when you don't have a sewing machine handy; and when you don't want to have to hide the threads behind the card stock - its just a bit neater. Simply use your paper piercer, Mat Pack to align, and a good white pen.

Card Recipe for card #2:
  • Stamps: Eastern Blooms, Great Friend (from the Spring Mini)
  • Ink: Real Red, Markers - Regal Rose and Real Red, White pen
  • Paper: Whisper White, Real Red, So Saffron, So Saffron DSP, Pink Flamingo DSP
  • Accesories: Mat Pack, paper piercer, Pretties Kit, Regal Rose Grosgrain Ribbon, Paper Snips
Hope you are having a good day, and as usual would love your comments on my blog!

x Julia

5 comments:

Unknown said...

julia...these are gorgeous! what a phenomenal color combo, too! amazing job with both challenges!

thanks for playing along with my sketch for this week, and i hope to see you again next week! :)

{{{hugs}}}
mercy

Mel said...

Hi Julila!
I love the technique you used on the bird. My hubby is out tonight and my little ones are tucked up in bed, so I think I'll give this technique a go. It looks really affective with the dazzling diamonds added. Thanks for sharing!
Mel.

Mel said...

Hi Julia!
I haven't tried the technique yet, but it's on my to do list.

If you want the blog decoration on my blog go to:

http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/
They have so many free blog background, it's hard to choose just one.

Thanks for visiting my blog.
Take care!

mel.

Byl Family... said...

ooohhh these are both delightful! I love the multi coloured background behind the ALways bird and the buttons and blig....just beautiful. Thanks so much for playing! Love Keesh x

Pam Varnell said...

This is adorable and I love how you did the sentiment panel. Thanks so much for playing along with us on the sketch challenge. Hugs!!

Reflections

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men. Col 3:23

Visitors